Today is the fourth edition of the "Health Stories of the Week" that we're putting out at the end of every week.
We'll post links to articles regarding health and nutrition, and occasionally something off topic that's interesting. If you've read some interesting articles on health or supplements, please share with us on our Facebook, Twitter or Google+ pages.
Enjoy the 4th edition of our links of the week:
1. The soda ban passed in New York -- Diets in Review -- The controversial New York City soda ban is now more than just talk. The city's board of health approved banning the sale of sugary beverages exceeding 16 ounces. Unless it's overturned by a judge, in 6 months you won't be able to get a super-sized soda in New York City. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
2. Not All Calories Equal, Study Shows -- The Wall Street Journal -- If you ask world-class athletes about their diet, many of them will tell you, it's not about the calories, it's the type of calories. This study brings hard numbers to this philosophy. The quote, "We should avoid severely restricting any major nutrient and focus on the quality of the nutrient," is the basis of this article.
3. Increased Intake of Omega-3 Fatty Acids Improves Children's Reading and Behavior -- ENews Park Forest -- A new study by the University of Oxford has shown that daily supplements of omega-3 fatty acids (Docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA) improved the reading and behaviour of underperforming children in mainstream primary schools.
4. Food Companies Will Go Non-GMO if CA Laneling Law Passes -- The Organic & Non-GMO Report -- Here's hope for those who fear GMOs in our food. Major food manufacturers are likely to switch to using non-GMO ingredients in their products sold nationwide if California’s initiative to label GM foods—Proposition 37—passes this fall, according to food industry experts.
5. Got Chronic Pain? The Top Conditions That Cause It -- and How to Get Relief! -- iVillage -- About 100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain. From fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and Lupus to back pain, carpel tunnel and chronic fatigue syndrome, this is a great list to help you diagnose and treat chronic pain.
What interesting stories have you seen this week that should be shared? Please share those links on our Facebook