While the practice of aromatherapy in the professional arena is the subject of ongoing study and discovery, there are simple, proven blends you can personally create and use now to soothe your mind, body, and soul throughout the day.
As you welcome the benefits of aromatherapy into your own life, certain accessories make it that much easier to harness the powerful scents of essential oils at home and on the go. Whether you’re just starting your essential oil collection or gifting items to a friend in need, add these accessories to your list to add a little convenience to any self-care regimen.
Aromatherapy Methods and Accessories
In order to fully incorporate the scents and benefits of your favorite essential oils and blends into your day-to-day routine, you’ll need a few basic accessories to get started.
- Diffusers are designed to take a few drops of an oil and disperse the scent into the air, infusing your home, car, or office with the atmosphere of a spa. There are many different types of diffusers with varying costs and ease-of-use:
- Plug-in diffusers require only an outlet, a few drops of essential oil, and scent cards.
- Portable USB diffusers can be used even in a car, adaptor included. Requires only a USB connection and oil.
- Humidifying diffusers require distilled water, electricity, and a few drops of essential oil.
- Nebulizing diffusers are a high-end option that requires only electricity and essential oil. No heat or water necessary.
- Carrier oils and distilled water.
Both of these additives are used to dilute raw oils for the purpose of reducing the potency to manageable, safe levels for topical use.
- Blend your choice of oils with distilled water to make body mists and air fresheners in spray bottles. You can even spritz your clothes for all day relief that follows you everywhere.
- Carrier oils like sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, Vitamin E, coconut, avocado, almond, jojoba, and olive oils (or a combination of these) can be paired with essential oils to create soothingly aromatic massage oils.
If you’re eager to create your own blends, stock up on bottles and labels, as well as sprayers, droppers, and roll-on lids. Each topper will give you different options for administering your blends wherever and however they’ll do you the most good.
- Sprayers are great for using distilled water solutions as portable body mists and air fresheners.
- Droppers are a must-have for mixing blends into your shower or bath at the start or end of your day.
- Roll-on bottles allow you to easily administer blends directly onto your wrists, neck, temples, etc. for portable, immediate relief at any given time of day.
As always, be alert to your body’s reaction to any oil or blend, discontinue use if negative reactions occur, and consult an aromatherapist or physician for guidance.