What’s all the “bullish” talk surrounding Taurine lately? Let’s take a look and see why this nutrient is all the rage right now…
Taurine, a key amino acid, is typically found in the heart, brain, immune system, retina and certain muscle tissue. According the University of Rochester Medical School, taurine is essential for babies. But it turns out, taurine’s good for adults too! It works to support circulatory health, brain function and much more.
Here are 5 simple ways taurine can help you feel and perform better.
- Heart health
Taurine supports healthy circulatory function as it helps support healthy blood pressure and protects the cardiovascular system. It may also help slow the buildup of plaque in the arteries and reduce cholesterol levels. A recent, seven-week study showed that taking 3 g taurine per day helped lower body weight and triglyceride levels, both beneficial factors for heart health.
This touted amino acid affects metabolic function by improving insulin sensitivity. That’s great news for energy and balanced blood sugar levels.
Popular with athletes, taurine may help improve running stamina, strength and endurance. It also boosts fat burning and helps with muscle health.
Even though taurine levels decline as we age, studies with mice and monkeys show that adding taurine to the diet may improve health and longevity.
- Brain function
3 fun brain facts: 1) Taurine acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain. 2) It is involved in the modulation of neural signaling and brain development. 3) It is believed to have neuroprotective properties.
As an antioxidant, taurine helps prevent oxidative stress to the body. It may also support oral health. 😁
How Do I get “More Taur?”
- Your body makes this amino when you’re healthy. But if you’re sick or stressed out, no go.
- Make sure your diet includes plenty of meat, poultry, seafood and dairy. Vegan diets often provide little to no taurine.
- Taurine levels increase as your activity levels do. So keep moving!
- When supplementing, start small and slowly increase to measure your personal tolerance level.
Taurine is indeed powerful, but it isn’t right for everyone.
- Women who are expecting or nursing should use caution and consult their doctor before consuming taurine.
- People with preexisting medical conditions should consult their healthcare provider prior to using taurine.