Let’s face it, the past few years have not been easy and the pandemic left many people in a mental and emotional rut. According to the World Health Organization, anxiety and depression rates rose 25% in the first year of the pandemic. While it’s hard to find a silver lining in global anxiety and depression, there has been increased awareness and support for mental health.
We’re fortunate to live in an age where medications can help physical and mental conditions; but there are many natural ways to improve mental health, too. Meditation and mindfulness practices are popular ways to regain mental balance. Journaling is another effective way to release emotions and keep track of progress. Many people struggling with mental health concerns are turning to herbal and dietary supplements.
Unfortunately, herbal remedies aren’t always covered in mainstream medical school classes. Despite not being incorporated into curriculums, there are still practices and resources to give you the low-down on what herbal alternatives can help bring balance to your mental health.
We’ve done our own research and have a few options for herbal mental health support.
Everyday stressors and life’s little moments can put you on edge and add anxiety to your day. AnxiousLess blends powerful natural ingredients to help relieve occasional anxiousness and promote calm. It makes the bumps in your day seem smaller and helps you feel in charge again.
AnxiousLess features Zembrin®, a premium version of South African Sceletium tortuosum. For more than 300 years, South African natives have used the sceletium plant for mood support. Studies have shown that Zembrin reduced anxiety-related amygdala reactivity compared to a placebo.
Other nutrients in this blend include:
- l-theanine, a relaxing, calming amino acid that can boost GABA, serotonin and dopamine levels. These neurotransmitters support mood, sleep, alertness and cognition.
- Thiamin (vitamin B1) supports the nervous system and specifically helps with GABA levels in the brain. GABA is associated with mood and anxiousness, so having plenty of it on hand–or “on the brain”–is super beneficial.
- Magnesium helps with cognitive function, cardio and bone health, and metabolism support. It also aids energy production and smooth muscle contraction like that found in the heart, GI tract and in female reproductive health.
- Zinc provides essential support for the immune system and aids cell growth.
Take one capsule a day, or as needed to kick anxious feelings to the curb.
Powered by four natural extracts and B & C vitamins, Nutri-Calm supports the nervous system and helps you maintain a sense of calm.
Valerian, a plant with sweet scented pink flowers, has been used for centuries for its calming effect. It was used during the Civil War to help relieve nervous conditions. Medics during both World Wars called for Valerian to help shellshocked soldiers and to help with stress associated with air raids.
Other good things in here:
- Schisandra, traditionally known for its adaptogenic properties that can help the body resist and adapt to stressors and anxiety.
- B and C vitamins are essential for the body’s stress response.
- Passionflower was used in traditional Native American medicine and is used for anxiety and sleep support.
- Hops, another traditional herb, has been used for relaxation and sleep support.
Take one tablet with three daily meals to start experiencing the calm you crave.
We all have our moments when focusing on a task seems impossible. Whether it’s our phone, side tasks or the persistent noise in the background, distractions are everywhere. Focus Attention combines the properties of DMAE, ginkgo, lemon balm, slippery elm bark and grape seed extract for a supplement that supports healthy brain activity while nourishing the digestive, nervous and circulatory system.
DMAE is naturally produced in the body. But, you can also find it in fatty fish, such as salmon. This compound works to increase production of neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is central for nerve signals. It’s also used for memory and learning enhancement.
You’ll love that it includes:
- Slippery elm helps with nutrient absorption and helps cleanse the digestive system.
- l-glutamine is an amino acid that supports healthy brain activity and mental ability. It can also influence the amount of GABA used in the brain.
- Lemon balm was used as early as the Middle Ages for stress, anxiety and sleep support.
- Grape seed extract is high in proanthocyanidins, compounds that combat effects of free radicals.
- Gingko biloba supports circulation to the brain.
Over 12 years? Take 2 capsules with a meal twice daily. Still developing? 6–12 years can take 1 capsule with a meal twice daily.
If you’re looking for one supplement to start out with, Ashwagandha is loaded with brain and body benefits. This blend is a potent cocktail that utilizes natural, adaptogenic, plant-based ingredients that are scientifically shown to help improve the central nervous system, which is constantly impacted by emotional and environmental stressors.
Benefits you’ll feel:
- Supports stabilized stress response and cognitive performance
- Helps improve resistance towards stress and anxiety
- Supports physical performance, endurance and wellness
- Is traditionally used to support mental health and improve memory
- Supports and helps stabilize the stress response
- Helps sharpen the mind-body connection
- Supports well-being
- Helps support cognitive performance in aging
Ingredients like schisandra were added for more stress response support for your best mind-body connection.
Two capsules daily is all you need to experience the Ashwagandha awakening.
If you were curious whether herbs could really help improve mental health, you found your answer. Nourishing your brain the same ways as your body leads to calmer and better mental states. Look for herbal alternatives to support the happy and healthy mind you deserve.