Get Outside: Fun Activities and Things to Do in the Summer
Whether you’re young or just young at heart, nothing brings out the fun like the summer sun. It gives you a chance to unplug from all the screens, enjoy the fresh air and get in touch with the outdoors. This will increase your fitness and movement (of course, you can Make Watching TV an Active Event but the outdoors is preferable). But you only get a few months of it, so make the most of your summer with these fun activities.
Super Ways to Spend Your Summer
- Go on a Picnic – Take a sack lunch or traditional basket and go sit on the grass with your family and soak in some sun on your next lunch.
- Exercise Outdoors – Reinvigorate your workout with the sights, sounds and smells of the great outdoors. Organizing an activity that you can take part in whilst exercising may also be an option for you and a group of friends. A great way to do this could be through playing a game such as Airsoft to help get your blood pumping. Make sure you have all the equipment and gear to remain safe though. If you don’t, then the Airsoft Mask are essential safety items for airsoft to keep you from getting injured. If you have something like this, then you’re good to go.
- Visit a National or State Park – Most everyone has one nearby that’s often steeped in history. Have you been to yours?
- Hit the Beach – The beach is synonymous with summer, so take the kids for some sand, sun and fun.
- Reading – Take your favorite book, or a new one, and sit under a tree for some leisurely fun.
- Barbeque – Cook your meals outdoors to make the most of your summer. Not a meat lover? Roast veggies instead.
- Gardening –Fresh-picked vegetables or berries from your own garden are true summer treats.
- Outdoor Concert – The atmosphere of a live, outdoor concert offers a truly memorable experience.
- Go to an Outdoor Restaurant – Have a night “out” on the town and enjoy dining or drinks outside.
Cheap or Free Fun Activities for Kids
- Host an Outdoor Movie – Lay out a blanket in the backyard and pop some corn. The kids will love the novelty of an outdoor theater experience.
- Visit the Playground – Youngsters always enjoy climbing slides and swinging from the monkey bars, and it’s great exercise!
- Get Colorful with Sidewalk Chalk – Let your kids express their creativity and decorate your driveway and sidewalks.
- Backyard campfire – Roasting marshmallows over a fire is something children will always remember.
- Have a Water Fight – Whether with balloons, squirt guns, buckets or hoses, kids and teens will absolutely love it!
- Do Some Stargazing – Lay out a blanket and look for constellations, planets and other celestial features.
- Have a Lemonade Stand – Set up a table under some shade an offer some cool, crisp refreshment to your neighborhood.
- Go Fishing – You’ll never forget your kids’ excitement as they reel in their first catch. You may want to remember to do your research in finding the best baitcasting reel on the market to improve their first experience. Not only that, but it has the chance to increase the likelihood of them being able to catch a fish. They’ll only get to experience their first fishing trip once, so make sure it’s one to remember.
- Take a Hike – Whether up a mountain or just down the street, take a walk with your kids.
- Play Games – Tag, kickball, baseball or HORSE…it doesn’t matter, just go play!
- Go Swimming! Visit a community pool, local reservoir or lake.
Other Fun Things to Do Outside
- Shop at a farmers market
- Take an early morning walk
- Watch the sunset
- Swing on the porch
- Fly a kite
- Take a nature walk
- Wash your car with the family
- Go on a bike ride
- Take a nap in a hammock
Don’t Let Seasonal Irritants Ruin Your Summer Fun
For some of us, the outdoors makes it hard to be outdoors; but it doesn’t have to. A combination of stinging nettle, bitter orange, antioxidants and other natural ingredients, HistaBlock supports healthy respiratory function against seasonal airborne substances. It naturally supports open airways to help you breathe freely and better appreciate being outside.
Ideas for Indoor Summer Fun
Not everyone thrives outdoors, and let’s face it, sometimes it’s just too darn hot to do much outside. Don’t worry, there’s plenty to do indoors to make your family’s summer activities memorable.
- Go to a museum
- Visit a library
- Play card games or board games
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Make simple crafts
- Learn to draw or paint
- Build a birdfeeder
- Read out loud together