“I’m very pleased with how far we have come in such a short time. I’m confident that we’ll have even more great news to share in the years to come.”
Highlights from our 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance Report
We believe in being responsible corporate citizens in everything we do…in taking our stewardship for Earth’s resources seriously and in leaving plenty of everything for those who will follow us.
The more we can act with environmental sustainability in mind, the better off we leave our planet. We’re excited to share an update on our 2022 sustainability goals.
By the Numbers
- 100% of our manufacturing facility and warehouse is powered by sunlight.
- 100% of our Poland warehouse and distribution center is powered by wind.
- 50% reduction in domestic shipments due to better planning and space management, which decreases emissions.
- 40+% increase in the use of post-consumer recycled plastics in our packaging.
- 35% reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions (scope 1 and 2).
- 29% reduction in waste to landfill at our three US distribution centers.
- 24% reduction in air freight for international shipments, which reduces emissions even further.
Sustainable Packaging on a Global Scale
We regularly assess and adjust our packaging to reduce waste. Our combined efforts over the past couple of years have greatly impacted several markets and have vastly reduced our carbon footprint. Take a look…
From Bottles to Bags in the USA
Over the past two years, we moved our bulk powder products, including Collagen, Everybody’s Fiber and Ultimate GreenZone, from plastic jars to gusseted bags. This is much more energy-friendly as it takes up 90% less space in landfills. It also saves on shipping and storage costs. We also transitioned our capsule and tablet products to post-consumer-recycled bottles.
Going Eco-Friendlier in the United Kingdom
We switched our Synergy Biome Shake to a new durable, bio-based container that’s petroleum-free, 100% recyclable and derived from sugar beets.
Getting More Flexible in Asia
We recently converted our TruGreen chlorophyll product from 2-ounce plastic bottles to flexible foil pouches, reducing the packaging size by 90% and weight by 66%. This product now occupies about 70% less space in the shipping containers. Additionally, the new packaging requires 90% less energy and water to create and results in 90% less waste.
Our ongoing commitment to waste reduction, recycling, reducing greenhouse emissions and using sustainable packaging helps make Nature’s Sunshine an even more prominent global leader in the supplement industry and a more responsible citizen of planet Earth. To learn more about our environmental, social and governance (ESG) goals and progress, read the full 2022 ESG report.